Linking Aadhar with Voter ID- the detailed processing of Seeding Aadhar with Voter ID
The Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, authorising the linking of Aadhaar with Voter IDs, was passed by the Lok Sabha through a voice vote in December 2021. The Election Commission (EC) of India has launched a campaign to link voter ID cards with Aadhaar cards from August 1. The system of linking an individual’s Aadhaar number with their Voter ID card (also known as the Elector’s Photo Identity Card or EPIC) and this process is known as seeding.
Why linking Aadhar ID to Voter ID important?
As per the Election Commission of India, linking Voter ID with an Aadhaar card will help in the identification of registration of the name of the same person in more than one constituency or more than once in the same constituency. Voter ID cards to be linked to Aadhaar card with a view to establish the identity of electors and authentication of entries in the electoral roll and to identify registration of the name of the same person in more than one constituency or more than once in the same constituency.
Is It mandatory to link an Aadhaar ID with a Voter ID?
Linking of Aadhar with voter ID is not made mandatory at present, hence it is voluntary now.
The name of the voter will not be deleted from the voter list database as providing Aadhaar by voters is voluntary as of now and on the ground that Aadhaar number has not been provided by them.
How to link an Aadhaar with a Voter ID using Form-6B?
As per Rule 23 of the Representation of the People Act, 1950, the Aadhaar number by the voters can be given in form-6B notified by sub-rule 26B of the Electoral Registration Rules, 1980. Form-6B is currently available online at https://nvsp.in/. After self-authentication, the voter can fill form-6B online on the voter’s portal/app and self-authenticate Aadhaar using the OTP received on the mobile number registered with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The voter can submit form-6B along with required enclosures online without self-authentication.
Please note that the earlier process of seeding Aadhar numbers using the ‘Search in Electoral Roll’ is no more available now. You need to update your Aadhar number using Form 6B. The detailed step-by-step process is given below- Click Here.
How to link an Aadhaar with a Voter ID? – the process of seeding Aadhar with EPIC.
The process of linking Aadhaar with an Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) is known as seeding and is carried out through the National Voters Service Portal (NVSP).
You need to keep the following details/ documents ready in order to start linking your Voter ID to the Aadhar.
- Your Voter ID card number
- Aadhar Card number
- Registered mobile number/ Email ID
Now you are ready to start the process.
Methods of linking Aadhar with Voter ID
The process of seeding Aadhaar with EPIC can be done through multiple channels, as discussed below:
- Link your Aadhaar-Voter ID Online through NVSP Form 16B
- Link your Aadhaar Voter ID via SMS
- Linking your Aadhaar Voter ID through phone
- Link your Aadhaar-Voter ID through Booth-level Officers
- Link your Aadhaar-Voter ID through E-Seva Centers
1. Link your Aadhar- Voter ID online through the NVSP portal using Form-6B
Step-by-step procedure to update your Aadhar number online through Form-6B on NVSP (National Voter Service Portal).
Step 1– Visit https://nvsp.in/
Step 2– Click on the Login button given on the top right side of the home page.
Step 3– If you are already a registered user with the NVSP portal, enter your mobile number or email ID on the user name field and enter the password to log in to the portal. If you have forgotten your login password, you can reset the password using the option “Forgot Password” given on the login screen. Once you reset the password, you can proceed back to the Login page with the newly generated password and proceed to Step 4 mentioned below.
If you are not registered with the NVSP portal:
- Click on the “Don’t have account, Register as a new user” option to register as a new user.
- On the new user registration window, you need to enter a valid mobile number to receive OTP. Once you enter the OTP received on your mobile, you will be directed to the registration page.
- On the new registration page, you can find two options – “
- Once you complete the new user registration, you can proceed back to the Login page to login into the portal with the new password and proceed to Step 4 mentioned below.
Step 4: Once you login into the portal, click on the option “Information of Aadhar Number by Existing Electors” which you can find on the left-hand side of the page. You will be directed to the forms (voter registration) page.
Step 5: On the forms (voter registration) page, please select “Form-6B Letter of Information of Aadhaar number for the purpose of electoral roll authentication” which is available under ‘Form Type’ on the left-hand side of the page. You will be directed to the Form-6B page.
Step 6: On the Form-6B page, you need to enter your mobile number and email ID under ‘Personal Details’, select the option “I have Aadhaar Number” and enter your 12-digit Aadhar number under ‘Aadhar Details’.
Step 7: Click on the “Preview” option at the bottom right side of the Form-6B page, you can preview the details and change the same, if required. Then click on the “Submit” button if all the details are found correct. You will be provided with a reference number to track the status of your Aadhar number link application.
Go to the “Dashboard” at the top right side to track your Aadhar update status. Also, you can go to the “Track Application Status” option available on the home page, enter your ‘Reference ID” provided and click on ‘Track Status’ to check the status.
2. Link your Aadhar- Voter ID via SMS
Linking your Aadhaar number with your EPIC number through SMS is even simple. All you need to do is to follow the following steps and send an SMS to 51969 or 166 in the format shown below.
ECILINK< space>EPIC Number< space>Aadhaar Number
For example, if your EPIC number is ABC1234567 and your 12-digit Aadhaar Number is 123456789012, you need to type ECILINK ABC123456 123456789012 and send the SMS to 51969 or 166.
You will receive a notification on your phone number once you sent the SMS.
3. Link your Aadhar- Voter ID through phone
The Aadhaar can also be linked to the APIC card by calling the dedicated call centers set up for the purpose.
Just give a call 1950 on weekdays (normally Monday to Friday) between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm and provide your EPIC and Aadhaar card information to link the two.
4. Link your Aadhar- Voter ID through Booth-level Officers (BLO)
- You can also link your Aadhaar card with your EPIC card by submitting an application to your respective Booth Level Officer (BLO).
- The BLO will conduct a door-to-door survey when your information will be recorded.
- The information you have provided will be reflected in the database after it is verified by the Booth Level Officer.
5. Link your Aadhar- Voter ID through E-Seva Centers
There are e-Seva centers available across India set up by the Central Government and various state governments. You can link your Aadhar number with your voter ID through these e-Seva centres. You need to provide your Aadhar details, EPIC number and mobile number/ email ID to complete the process.
Alternatively, special camps as well as Voter Facilitation Centres will be conducted across the country to facilitate the Aadhar seeding. You can check with your local voter office for details on when these special camps will be run in your locality.
How to check the status of your Aadhar- Voter ID linking?
You can easily find out the status of your Aadhaar – Voter ID seeding on the https://nvsp.in/ portal.
- Once you log in to the portal, go to the “Dashboard” at the top right side to track your Aadhar update status.
- Also, you can go to the “Track Application Status” option available on the home page, enter your ‘Reference ID” provided and click on ‘Track Status’ to check the status.